Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Using Images

The first image that I have uploaded is one that I took myself while travelling in India. I used MobaPhoto to resize my image which is a great free tool that allows you to edit images. I think this image would be a great to use in the classroom to start a topic and use as a hook or to support a topic. It could be used to discuss culture, our world, animals, transport, lifestyle and many more topics. The image is something that would be slightly unfamiliar to most students and I believe has the potential to spark interest and discussion amongst them. Uploading images can be very effective to share information and progress with parents and students of classroom work, achievements, sports days and other events like under 8's day. The main issue in doing so is obviously the privacy issue if they are being posted publicly to something like a webpage that anyone can view so teachers must ensure they get permission before doing so.



cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.



The second image that I have used is one that I found on www.weblogcartoons.com. This site, like many others, allows their image to be used for personal use as long as you mention where you sourced it from. I think this image could be used as a starting point to discuss topics on technology or communication and students could even create their own cartoon style image after studying the topic. Using images is a great way to provide visual aids for all learners.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie,

    I agree with your view on images being used in the classroom. Images give an engaging stimulus and hook the students into the topic or lesson. Your personal picture of the elephant in india would be a fantastic way to get stuents thinking and exploring a different country or culture. Images can have a massive effect on students if you are trying to get a message or point across. I like your point about privacy issues with images and teachers really need to be careful when uploading or even share the images with other parents therefore can be leaked out into the community without parents permission. Overall I think images can be a stimulating and engaging tool to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kadee. I agree that they can be stimulating and engaging and I think now with so many schools having interactive whiteboards in the classroons it makes it even easier for us to readily share images, particularly of a large size to make a greater impact.

    ReplyDelete