Thursday, July 22, 2010

Creating a website


Today I used weebly.com to create my own website. I found it to be really easy and simple to use with explanations available on how to use different features. I can see many strengths in using this tool as older students can use it as a platform to create a piece of work that could be done at school and worked on at home, allowing the class teacher and other students to share their work and view progress. It could also be used by the teacher to create a website that contains specific information to what the students are learning. The students could then use this website as part of their research allowing the teacher to have the confidence in knowing that the information is accurate and relevant, which would be particularly useful to young students. The initial set-up of the website would be a little time consuming for the teacher but I think it would be well worth it as it could be used over and over again for various students and lessons. Websites allow a variety of content to be displayed including text, pictures and other digital files, catering for a variety of learning styles.

As websites are available for anyone to see, a class could create a website that involves the wider community to share their ideas or information. Teachers would also need to take this into consideration however that anyone else may view the website if it is a public website and privacy may be an issue if students names or photographs are displayed. Some of the weaknesses or threats that I could see through the use of this tool are that if not monitored appropriately students could easily lose interest or become side-tracked. If accessed at home, parents would also need to ensure pop-ups are blocked and internet usage is managed and suupervised.

I can imagine so many different uses for websites for all ages and it is definately a tool that I would consider using in my class.


This is my website that I created after using weebly.com

My Website


Image courtesy of weebly.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie,

    Your view on how effective websites are was really interesting to read. I strongly agree with involving the wider community in the student's learning but the privacy will be an issue. Teachers need to remember to work legally, safely and ethically online, how would you make sure that your student's are protected when using this website and once it is out there? It's a tricky one which I think needs a lot of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie,

    I agree with Kadee, your ideas sound great! The privacy issue would be a negative aspect to this tool, I agree, however if you are an active teacher I am sure there are ways around this issue. Changing privacy settings and creating a sign in to the website and students can only obtain the password or parents. If those things cannot be done it is up to us as teachers to be on that site each day to edit and refine the website. Have you girls got any ideas on websites? Do you think you will use this tool when you are teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I guess privacy would be an issue and maybe you would need to consider this before using students names or photos. I guess the other thing is that students today need to be taught about effective, safe and appropriate internet use as it's a part of everyday life now. I would still use this myself to set up effective websites that students can use for particular topics and that sort of thing. It would be a great way to share resources (or website links) between teachers too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the vast potential that a website can have. I personally like the idea that a website can be accessed anywhere at any time by students, thus making it a valuable resource for learners in the 21st Century. I also agree that the internet is not always safe though if learners are taught to be critical of what they see and hear on the world wide web, they will become informed citizens for the future who are able to use this tool to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete